Monday, February 27, 2012

Second Guessing...

So after having the Minute for a few days and looking at it more I am torn on whether to keep it, or go with the full Ute.

While I like the idea of the shorter wheelbase in theory, I am beginning to worry that I may be setting myself up for heartache in the future by not having the full capacity. The full Ute will hold two children, the Minute will only hold one. The full Ute has two large bags, the Minute has two small bags (almost exactly 50% of the size).

With the Minute I will almost certainly need to use a trailer when we go as a full family, with the Ute I would be able to be totally self contained. Another point of contention is that xtracycle makes Ute compatible decks/bags/accesories. Thus far they do not do anything for the Minute (to be fair it is a new model, but they are really more of a long bike company so I don't know if they ever will).

So the question is do I stay with the Ford Ranger and hope for the best or do I go with the F250 and know that I will never find something I can't haul.

I have 30 days to decide, provided I don't actually ride the Minute much, so I will ponder for a few days.

Your input is welcome.

2 comments:

  1. How well will the two kiddos really fit on the Ute? Like, I know they will FIT, but will they be able to safely sit one in front of the other and not fight, kick, argue, do all the things siblings do when they are that age, without falling off/making you crash. I will tell you that little deck makes me more than nervous on the actual safety of it all...

    How often will you need the larger bags?

    Can Terra haul the trailer? What about the cost of getting two Minutes, one for each of you vs the cost of one Ute?

    How many other accessories will you need that aren't available?

    Just playing devils advocate, you know me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two kiddos will fit comfortably on the rear deck, and will be secured to different degrees. Levi, when old enough to actually go, will be in what is basically a car seat (most likely the Bobike Maxi Tour http://www.bobike.nl/products/en/bobike_maxi_tour.htm?fluxmenu=m13____m3). Kai will be dependant on how well she does, they make everything from just a pad and handlebar up to full seats with harnesses. This gives you a good idea of how easily two kids fit on the Ute http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryoba/3845657142/in/pool-1074280@N25

      The larger bags would be needed for all but the most basic of trips. The small bags would have handled Farmers Market trips, it would not have been able to handle grocery shopping.

      Terra could haul the trailer, but it would add weight and resistance which would likely discourage her more from taking trips together, plus she is already sketchy about riding and being responsible for the kiddos safety might push her over the edge.

      The single Ute costs 63% of what two Minutes would cost, and then we would run into the issue again of Terra A)not being as strong of a rider, and B)not really being confident enough to want one of the kids on her bike.

      The accessorie part of it remains to be seen, but I like the options I have with the Ute better.

      All that being said I returned my Minute and picked up my Ute last night. ;-)

      Delete